If you’re on social media, you’ve likely seen the “bed in a box” phenomenon. In the past six months, the idea of having a mattress delivered to your door-step, which you can then move around the house yourself (with relative ease), has soared in popularity. If you’re curious about these innovative mattresses, here are some tips to consider before buying:Note: I chatted with experts at Sleep Envie to compile these answers1. If someone is new to mattress shopping, what main factors should be considered:
- What kind of mattress suits your lifestyle (for example, do you prefer to sleep on plush or firmer surfaces?
- Do you sleep alone or with a partner and/or kids/pets?
- Do you tend to get hot while sleeping?
- What sleep position do you prefer — your back? Side? Stomach?
- You’ll also want to consider size needs (and a lot of this depends on how big your bedroom is)
- Budget.2. What is the difference between spring and memory foam:
- Spring is an more classic technology that most of us grew up with. It, generally, can be firmer and supportive. They don’t generate access heat and are great if you don’t like the feeling of sinking into memory foam.
- Memory foam is a newer technology. Although it is available in soft, medium and firm options, these mattresses are generally softer than spring and offer pressure relieving qualities. There’s also the potential for memory foam mattresses to offer multiple layers which provide comfort and cooling.
- Hybrid mattresses have the best aspects of both aforementioned types. The memory foam top provides plush comfort while the innovative pocket coil springs underneath provide more support. The top layer of memory foam is kept cool by the airflow through the springs. You can also buy mattresses with cooling gel tech memory foam, which adds additional cooling for hot sleepers.3. Are there specific mattresses that are recommended for different sleepers?
- A plush mattress is often better for side sleepers
- Semi-firm for stomach and back sleepers
- Firm for combination sleepers4. What’s a good option for couples with different sleep preferences?
- If one prefers firm and one prefers soft, we recommend compromise OR a hybrid mattress. It has the responsiveness of foam but the support of spring. You don’t feel as much movement either.5. What’s the best option for those who tend to get hot while sleeping?
- There are now beds that incorporate a layer of memory foam, made with actual cooling technology, to keep you cool, but never cold, at night. These beds (the Hunter and Sofie options at Sleep Envie) also work well to sooth muscles. At Sleep Envie, for example, the Sofie mattress actually has an ice yarn cover for additional cooling (which would be amazing for hormonal or pregnant women who get overheated easily). There’s also a pillow option that’s stuffed with cooling gel tech memory foam and covered with ice yarn so every side of the pillow feels like the cold side.
6. Why choose a bed in a box:The bed-in-a-box trend has become popular in the passed 3 years, which exceptional momentum building up in 2017. At Sleep Envie, the founder, Joy Elena, comes from a family that has been in the mattress manufacturing business for generations. She saw the shift in the market and used her expertise in the industry to create a brand that best serves the ever-evolving needs of today’s demographic, making the mattress buying process easier for today’s consumer.7. Do these mattresses maintain their form as well as a traditional mattress?These mattresses are able to maintain their form after being compressed because memory foam has memory. It will always go back to the original shape no matter how you stuff it or compress it.8. Tell me about ordering a mattress online — without test driving it first:1. We match you with a bed before you buy. Sleep Envie offers a quiz pairs you with your ideal mattress for your lifestyle and sleep habits. You may think you like a spring mattress, while in reality a memory foam mattress may work better for you.2. You can try it in the comfort of your own home and avoid the sometimes awkward, trying-in-store-with-a-salesman-standing-over-you scenario. Most of the time, you will only lay on it for a minute or two in the store so you don’t really get a great sense of the bed. We offer a 100 night trial period where you can try it at home. If you don’t like it, we refund your money and pick up the mattress for you.3. It’s convenient because you can shop online anytime (day or night) without having to go to a store during business hours and we deliver it to your door in 5-7 business days–no need to arrange pick up.4. We have a live chat and phone number you can call if you have any questions or you can email us.5. Because we don’t have brick-and-mortor store fronts, we are able to offer factory-to-consumer prices which make buying a mattress much more affordable.6. We understand buying a mattress can be a big investment, especially for families and young people getting their first home. We offer a financing program that allows you to pay for your purchase over a 12 month period.
We like a firmer mattresses, which is what we ended up choosing (the Sleep Envie Signature- this is a dream bed for those who like a more supported sleep surface). We honestly feel weightless (because the memory foam absorbs pressure and disperses our weight over the mattress surface) Any way you put it, if you’re considering a new mattress, it’s difficult to go wrong with a money-back guarantee — so you can try it at home, get a full refund and have the bed picked up (it’s hassle free).